Sunday, October 7, 2007

Charlotte Rampling: the beauty of wrinkle on age, depression, Paris & books

Reading
“I never read books in my teens, but in my twenties I developed a burning passion for the classics. I was amazed by Dickens and Balzac”.

“I don't read biographies very much, perhaps I should. I don't like biographies. It's really rather funny, that, isn't it? Why don't I like to know about people's lives?”

Depression
“I think it happens in everyone's lives. We're all going to be depressed at one time or another, and some longer than others.”

"...that will happen to everybody. They will lose people. They will be abandoned. You have to leave your parents, you have to leave sometimes your lover. There's always the sense of having to abandon things and being abandoned. It's a universal theme that we can't avoid. It's unbelievably difficult to come to terms with, but it's not necessarily depressing. It's very much a part of life. It's very vital."

“Forsake, divorce and death are the hardest events human beings can live. I have always suffered enormously with separations. But if we can’t accept to live with our dead and our sorrow, we can run the risk of easily becoming mad. Life sometimes is not enough to help us. I agree very much with the idea of talking to a third person, ready to travel with you through your life. With depression we resemble the dead. It takes away every craving.”

“I'm not worried, it's true. I was, highly, but now I'm not. It changes as you go along. And the main reason it changes is you decide not to be affected by it. Because you're the only person who has to hang in there with it: if you hate your husband, you have to live with that hate - he's not living with it, he's gone, and you have to live with the hate and the revenge. Unless you go and kill him, and then you're going to be in prison, so what are you actually going to do about it? If you see me calm now it's because you have to turn it right round. Because nobody gives a stuff what you're feeling like, really - nobody, probably in the whole world. That's what I've thought when I've felt really upset about things that have happened to me. It just eats away at you. Suffering is only subjective.”

“Action and energy are the first forms of self defense.”

Age
“I show myself just like I am. However I'd do something if I had a double chin...I don't eat much and I have practiced yoga for 30 years. In fact, I am more afraid of what could happen in my inner-self, rather than what goes in my exterior.”

"I don't do anything sportive," she says. "I've got a very well-toned body from my athletic father, who is now 93 and still going strong. The reason for my good muscles is that he was a great athlete."

“I am part of the first generation of women who, at 50 years of age can be seductive. Another kind of seductiveness, much deeper, more mature. It is the seduction of a woman in full possession of her feminine powers, with its immense experience. Why camouflage it?”


“I do think older men are sexy, and for women that's not always quite so. There's a natural cycle that, when you're in your 50s, it's not all about that anymore. You don't necessarily have to seduce people anymore, whereas men still like doing that. I like it here in Europe, where the older woman is the venerated one: not necessarily looked up to as a sex symbol, but she's a wise woman, someone who is very beautiful but not just there to be jumped on.”

“When I was approaching 40, I did not know if I could make films again. The main thing was to stay alive. Then, several years later, I felt ready. A real substance began to take place inside me, it was still fragile but it was living and in good health. I was once again ready to show myself, to receive and to give. And in great form physically. After one reaches 40, one deserves everything one has. We merit the face and the body that we have.”

Paris and the French
"Paris is a city that likes me and I like it. I feel creative here, inspired.”

"There is something about it that smells right, and feels right," she says of her adopted city. "Some French people I love, others I don't. I quite enjoy feeling like an outsider. When you don't live in your own country, you are considered slightly different. I appreciate that. It suits me."

“The French have always been really interested in sex, they've always been very open about it - married men have had mistresses, it was the traditional thing; and women have always been included in society. French women have been made beautiful by the French people - they're very aware of their bodies, the way they move and speak, they're very confident of their sexuality. French society's made them like that. So films will project that.”
From interviews